Day 03.

Your views on drugs and alcohol.




So drugs are a no-no. Unless they're prescription drugs. Aaand you're not addicted to them. I don't want to be found foaming at the mouth and having to have my stomach pumped.

Alcohol is occasionally alright. Social drinking is fine. If I remember right, I don't think the Bible condones drinking--my dad and uncles have the occasional red wine or champagne together with our church's minister (teehee)--it's the dependency on alcohol and the tendency to get piss-drunk that totally ruins alcoholic consumption for society and the rest of us. I will admit I used to hate the smell of it; to a certain extent, I still do now. But staying in a foreign country with deathly freezing winter temperatures (think -16 degrees and crazy bicycle-toppling winds), it only seemed right to give it another whirl, and it turned out the nice warmth and heat it gave my throat and tummy was a breather to the cold.

Martini nights at Q Bar in Beijing

Therefore, I now drink sometimes too. No getting drunk though ;) Wine or a little bubbly, plus, I use them in cooking too. Which kind of reminds me of when we were living in Beijing, Rainy wanted to bake us cookies, but despite our efforts in hunting it down, we couldn't seem to find any vanilla extract. Thus, he substituted it with Russian vodka. Genius, eh? When you think about it, they both smell alike anyway. So the cookies turned out amazing. Another example of why alcohol can be alright as long as its not put to its (consumers') limits. True story.

Pages